Welcome to Park’s PBIS Page!
What is PBIS?
Positive Behavior Intervention Support is an approach to discipline that focuses on a positive approach to teaching school-wide expectations. Behavior expectations and examples will be taught, modeled, practiced, re-taught, and reinforced throughout the year. With PBiS we hope to reach all students by positively teaching and reinforcing expectations, therefore affording all students the rewards of positive choices.
At Park Middle School, our students are expected to be SAFE, RESPECTFUL, and RESPONSIBLE. There are posters in each area of our building that serve as teaching points.
Check out Park’s PBIS Brochure for more information.
As kids get older, they become more independent in their daily activities. However, they still need parental support in order to be able to problem solve and make good decisions.
Parent Committee Sign Up:
Park’s Positive Behavior Intervention and Support (PBIS) Committee is looking for parents and guardians who are interested in helping to plan social events and service activities throughout the school year to increase family involvement at Park.
- Attend monthly meetings with teachers, administrators and students for planning
- Make contact with other community members who can help aide in our mission
- Help plan and attend the monthly and/or quarterly family events
Those who are interested will need to complete both the survey and the LPS Volunteer Form, both listed below. We would like to start meetings in October. We will make contact with you once we have received your information! We look forward to working with you.
Parent Involvement Survey:
This survey helps Park to know how much involvement parents would like to have with the school. Please take a moment to complete this survey if you have not already done so. This was sent out at the beginning of the year. Click on the links below for the version you would like.
English Version – online
Spanish Version – online
Karen Version – paper
Students are recognized for following expectations in the classroom by receiving Panther Paws.
- Daily Winners: Students get to sit in the “throne” with 6 friends.
- Weekly Winners: Students can win a variety of prizes. Raising Cane’s, Runza, t-shirts, lanyards, games, and more.
Students are able to purchase items at our school store using their Panther Paws. The store is open on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays before and after school.
We will be adding more items throughout the year. Prices may change as well!
Current list of prizes and prices:
|Jolly Ranchers||4/1 – one /day|
|Tootsie Rolls (Midges)||4/1 – one/day|
|Adult Color Books||5|
|Brain Teaser Puzzles||10|
|Last Years Yearbooks||10|
|Rubix Cubes and Sudoku Cubes||20|
|Portable Power Sticks||20|
Pause, Break, Strategy:
These are the strategies teachers use in the building to help students make better choices with their behavior.
- Pause – Teacher gives a verbal or nonverbal correction to students to change their behavior.
- Break – Teacher tells student to take a break. Student remains in the classroom and completes a short form detailing how they will improve their behavior. After receiving 3 breaks in one classroom, parent contact will be made to discuss behaviors in class.
- Strategy – Teacher gives students a Strategy sheet and student leaves the room. The student walks to the ISS room to complete a more detailed plan for successful behavior in the classroom. The student is required to conference with the teacher before coming back into the classroom. Parent contact is made for every Strategy a student receives.
Weekly Behavior Objectives:
As a building, we focus on a specific behavior in each classroom. Students receive specific positive praise for meeting this behavior objective. They also receive Panther Paws.
|October 19-21||I will be respectful by following directions first time given.|
|October 24-28||I will be responsible by completing all assigned work.|
|October 31-Nov 4||I will be safe by using the bathroom facilities in an appropriate manner.|
|November 7-11||I will be respectful by attending to the teacher during instruction.|
|November 14-18||I will be responsible by using computers and technology appropriately.|
|November 21-23||I will be respectful by providing appropriate responses to class discussions.|
|November 28-Dec 2||I will be safe by accepting all partners and group members|
|December 5-9||I will be safe by speaking kindly to my peers.|
|December 12-16||I will be responsible by being ready to learn at the start of class.|
|December 19-22||I will be respectful of the school building and school property.|
- August 2016 – Overview of Park Expectations – Jeopardy Click here to check it out!
- September 2016 – Using Respectful Language
- October 2016 – Following Directions First Time Given